Thursday, April 24, 2008

In Memoriam

On Sunday at 11:00 p.m., my maternal grandmother, Ida Bernice Mills, died after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. She was 88. Over the last 3 days I have had an AMAZING revelation. For the first time in my life I have truly understood that the gift of life completely outweighs the sadness of loss of life. This is something that people always say is true but I'm sure I've never grasped it before this week. I am very sad at the loss of my Grandma. However, my memories of her and the things I learned from her are what occupy my emotions.
1. The best meditation and prayer takes place while laboring in your garden.
2. The best water for everything is rain water.
3. No matter what horrible event befalls you, look toward tomorrow and joys it will bring.
4. Every woman should know how to change a tire, build a barbed wire fence and sew a dress.
5. Value your grandchildren.
6. Eat your vegetables (and know how to grow them)
7. Don't have too much stuff.
8. When you get really old it's okay to have chocolate covered cherries and cheetos for dinner.
When I was 7, I learned how to use a post hole digger. To this day, that is my favorite skill even above playing the piano. I think it's because that skill represents her and her way of life. Thank you Grandma for everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandmothers are special as we saw in the girl's baptism last Sunday. My maternal grandmother passed away a couple of years ago; so, from my heart is my sympathy.